Removing mold and mildew from wood cabinets, wood paneling and wood furniture should be treated on a “type of wood” basis. Wood is especially susceptible to mold growth as it is an organic material. Molds main function is to breakdown organic material (think of fungi or mushrooms growing on wet leaves or fallen logs).
The more porous or softer the wood, the greater the chance that mold will infect deeper into the wood. Furniture, wood paneling or cabinets that have a shellac, paint or finish will certainly add an extra barrier, but don’t be fooled. Mold left on long enough can eat its way through pretty much everything. In a circumstance such as the one presented in the photo, SERVPRO of Northwest Spokane would remove and dispose of all affected materials.